Friday, November 27, 2009

Trippin' on Turkey Day

We traveled to my parents for Thanksgiving this year, but that wasn't the only trip I took....

I grew tired of battling the post-nasal drip (lovely, I know...just the image you want to see when thinking about Thanksgiving. Turkey? Check. Family? check. Blog writer's snot? NOW it's a holiday!....) and took some Mucinex. My MIL had given me some a couple days before and she said take 2 every 12 hours. So when E bought a box for our house, I assumed it was the same dosage. It wasn't.

I ended up taking four in a 24 hour period (double what you are supposed to have.) Dad said it was probably just dehydration but I felt like I did when I was in the hospital after having B!

I think I will use that as an excuse to why, when I tried a new recipe (Vermont Maple Oatmeal Pie) to take for dinner it turned out like this:
good thing I also made cranberry orange bread and my famous secret-recipe sugar cream pie!
When we got there, Mom admired B's turkey outfit (yep, he was wearing the booties too.)
while I kept the kids occupied making a fun food craft









I also made this guy just for fun. We spent the rest of the day chatting, watching movies and cooking (the girls, anyway.)










Until Dad came home from work and my step-brother R showed up.
And it just wouldn't be my family if someone wasn't in costume....
"Just take one. You don't have to eat it..."
Before we ate, I made everyone fill out a slip of paper saying what they are thankful for to make gratitude rolls. You put the slip in the crescents and bake them, then people read the slips outloud and guess who wrote them. My nephew, Z, wrote he was thankful for monster trucks, I wrote one that said I was thankful for "my name"-just to throw people off.

Mom filled out a bunch but there were still more rolls to fill, so I did some extra funny ones like "I'm thankful for my girlfriend, even though I want to drain her. Signed, Edward." and "I'm thankful for the force. Signed, Luke Skywalker.", "I'm thankful for Christmas bonuses. Signed Clark Griswald." etc. I crack myself up!

Everyone else wasn't too sure about the idea- I had to beg people to take rolls. They warmed up, but apparently, smart alecky-ness runs in the family because people were saying things like "I'm thankful I didn't choke on the paper.", "I'm thankful the rest of my food doesn't have paper in it." etc.

Picking and grinning
We had crackers with dip, shrimp, fruit, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, noodles, stuffing, green bean casserole (yuck) sweet potatoes with marshmallows, and of course,

The shining jewel of Thanksgiving
(And to think mom had the audacity to tease me about stirring it up! Horrors! Here it is as it should be, straight from a can, no berries, sliced.)

Pie-a-Palooza 09 Now it was time to bring out the desserts. Like every year, I brought two pies. This year, however, my pies did not get the attention they deserved because there were 500 other pies there, plus every kind of pumkin you can think of! (Like Bubba on Forrest Gump....pumpkin pie, pumpkin cake, pumpkin roll, pumpkin bread....)
At least my centerpiece got some attention....Isn't he cute?

Cold Feet, Warm Heart After dinner, we watched Merry Madagascar and mom fixed the feet on W's pajamas. (I bought him all these footie pajamas, but he wouldn't wear them because they made his feet too hot. I remember feeling the same way as a kid.) Here's my guy, with his newly hemmed duds:

Am I still on drugs, or is he giving a thumbs up with his toes?

No comments: