Saturday, December 12, 2009

It's the Thought that counts....right?

So yesterday I made cookies for the neighbors. It didn't go as smoothly as last year. I gathered all my ingredients (including the oreos I had to replace after my-husband-the-raccoon secretly ate the last pack), and got ready to make three new recipes. (Yep, apparently I thought. Hey, I'm giving these as gifts, why not make something I've never tried before....)

First the CRANBERRY CLUSTERS:
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips1/8 cup corn syrup2 teaspoons water3/4 cup dried cranberries1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional Melt 1/3 cup chocolate chips with the corn syrup in the microwave. (This takes 30 seconds.) Add the water and other 1/3 cup chocolate and stir until smooth. Stir in the cranberries and nuts. Dollop onto waxed paper. Chill until firm.

Easy peasy. Then I magic bulleted the oreos for truffles and started on the RED VELVET CAKE BALLS
1 box red velvet cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz.)
1 package chocolate bark (regular or white chocolate)
wax paper

Only a couple ingredients, I can do this...
1. Bake cake according to package directions. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
Here's where the craziness started. I had read online that using your mixer to do this step makes for a fine crumble. It also makes for cake crumbs ALL OVER me and my kitchen.
2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting.Refrigerate for 2 hours.
check. Here's where I taste-tested and discovered I HATE red velvet cake. Tastes like red food coloring, blech. That would have been nice to know before all this....
3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on wax paper.
I wanted these to look nice and uniform so I used my scooper spoon. Which apparently is cupcake sized. These babies were mammoth! And there were 432 bazillion of them!
4. Chill for several hours or freeze for no longer than 6 hours.
Problem. No pans that fit in freezer. Had to pilfer coloring books from W's rooms to put the wax paper on. Filled up the freezer completely.
5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package.
6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm.
Note to self. Tray included with chocolate is useless. First batch was clumpy and rolling the cake got crumbs into the white chocolate and turned it pink. By the second batch I was doing better....Then I ran out of chocolate.

When I was done my kitchen looked like an episode of hoarders (minus the feces) and I still had half a gajillion naked cake balls in my freezer.

I readied the cute tins that I had bought and discovered that only four items fit in each. Nice. "Sorry, Mr. and Mrs. FamilyofFive, little Johnny doesn't get a Christmas cookie this year."

W and I headed out anyway to deliver the treats to the neighbors.
Only 3 people (out of nine) were home.

Sigh.

Does anyone else out there make treats as gifts? What did you make this year? Did it all turn out as you expected?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Last year when I was hugely with-child I made lots of baked goodies, put them in festive boxes and delivered them to four of my neighbors. I would peek out my window until I was sure they were home and waddle the treats to their door.

One neighbor didn't get theirs because I ate it. (I waited an entire day first and they were getting stale! Oh, the shame!)


- Lindsey U.