Sunday, September 12, 2010

How Was Your Holiday?

I'm sure you all knew that Friday was an important National observance-TV Dinner Day! (Of course, it's not as popular as the ubiquitous Welsh Rarebit day (Sept. 3rd) or yesterday's Weinerschnitzel Day, but TV dinners have been around for 57 years! ZZ Top even did a song about them- If that is not a reason to celebrate, I don't know what is!)

We started our day by making pretend TV dinners.B made "spaghetti and meatballs" and "brussel sprouts". (Originally, the pom poms and string were for W to count into the empty muffin tin, but he had no interest in it. )

At art/craft time, W reviewed our four food groups day by gluing food pictures and words into the appropriate sections of the tv dinner tray (Made by making hot glue lines on cardboard and covering it with aluminum foil.). Lunch was easy- tv dinners! The kids seemed to like them, and since I only wish I could make Salisbury steak that tastes EXACTLY like the frozen kind, (is that weird?) I enjoyed mine too.

Later, we made TV dinner cupcakes together. I had seen these everywhere last year and thought about using it for April Fool's but since were in the middle of a whole day devoted to TV dinners, why not use it?
W read the directions, helped me measure and put in the ingredients, mix, spoon the batter into the cups,and decorate. I love how they turned out!Hope your "holiday" was as fun (and delicious) as ours!
posted to Linked to Preschool Corner, Show & Tell Blog Hop, and Kids Get Crafty.

8 comments:

Candace said...

WOW....the cupcakes look like a real tv dinner. Very neat!!!!!!

Kari Spear said...

Love the cupcakes!! I think the mashed potatoes one is my fav. They all look so real!!!!

Discovering Montessori said...

Love the concept, especially like all your activities. Thank you for sharing.

Our Country Road said...

This is really really cool! Thanks for sharing :).

Infant Bibliophile said...

Visiting from Preschool Corner... What fun! To think I unknowingly missed such an important holiday! :)

RedTedArt said...

What a fabulous post about FOOD! WOW! And those cupcakes at the end are simply amazing!

Thank you so much for linking up to Kids Get Crafty! Much appreciated!!

Maggy

amandab said...

Please tell me that they are not real peas on those cupcakes! They look awesome!

Erin said...

TOTALLY COOL!!!! Love the cupcakes! What fun!