Wednesday, September 1, 2010

School Bus Day

For our last official theme day before W starts kindergarten (sob!), we had a school bus day!

We started the morning with school bus waffles,
and "Wheels on the Bus". (video)

video

Then, we learned about bus safety with this song:
Bus Safety
(tune: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star)
When you're driving on the bus
Don't stand up and make a fuss.
Follow every safetly rule,
The driver will get you safely to school.
Talk quietly and be polite
Listen well, and do what' s right.
~ Author Unknown

and some computer games. (Here's another link.)

I guess B still needs some work on the "keep your hands and feet to yourselves" rules, huh?









I made a bus for the boys to play in out of a plastic tablecloth,








and W made his own buses with Legos, (instructions here. He later added a rocket to make it the Magic School bus)and an egg carton . (He painted it, wrote the letters, and cut and glued the wheels and the riders-Mario characters, of course!)
We read school bus books from the library, and from our own stash.Our school bus for snack recipe called for yellow icing but I think the Twinkie and Oreos were enough sugar as it was!We ended the day playing RedLight, Green Light (B thought W was chasing him and he loved it!) and W did a bus maze.In one week, W will be riding the bus for real!

posted to

preschool corner

abc button

9 comments:

April said...

So much fun! Can I come live with you? Coming through from stART.

RedTedArt said...

Those school bus waffles really made me smile! In the UK our buses are Red... oh no, what do we do ;-)

Love the egg carton bus too!

Would love for you to take part in my new link up Kids Get Crafty over at Red Ted Art. Link goes up every Wednesday... current link is http://www.redtedart.com/?p=3056

Hope to see you there!

Maggy

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Those are all just terrific ideas!

Christy said...

Wow! I love your tablecloth bus and the egg carton and the waffles - okay, everything is great!

sbswtp said...

So fun! I love the pictures of them "riding on the bus" ...too cute!!

Ticia said...

I love the table cloth bus. I bet that was wildly popular. That gets me thinking.........

Kevin and Kristina said...

What fun ideas! My son loves school buses! I'll have to try some of these.

Rachel@I Heart Crafty Things said...

Oh my goodness....I loved every idea in this post! I just pinned it on pinterest to use with my preschooler. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Julie said...

I saw your cute plastic tablecloth - bus idea on Pinterest and loved it! I linked back to it in my 14 Ways to Create Learning Experiences with Children Using Plastic Tablecloths post.

Thanks for the great idea!