Friday, October 15, 2010

Whee, Whee, Whee, All the Day Home

Today was Three Little Pigs Day!

We read the story,sang the math song we used on our chicken day (There are 10 pigs in a pen...), learned a new song:
Straw, Sticks and Bricks found here

Tune: The Three Blind Mice

Straw, sticks and bricks.
Straw, sticks and bricks.
The pigs built their houses
out of straw, sticks and bricks

The wolf came by,
he blew the straw down.
He blew the sticks but the bricks were strong
The pig lived happy all the days long
In their house of bricks.

and watched this pig phonics song on youtube.

W practiced finding ig words like in the song with a bingo dauber worksheet I typed up. (It is self-correcting, when he put the pig sheet behind his paper and held it up to the light, the pigs were behind all the ig words!Next, we reviewed what each pig used to build their house, then tried to build our own with similar materials.
W quickly decided to go with the bricks, but B loved the sticks the best!












Then, W strengthened his wolf skills by huffing and puffing a feather on the floor (He was a pro!)
and by chasing a little piggy. (W preferred it when I was the wolf and chased him!)
To cool down, I read party of the Three Little Pigs story again, and this time W listened for specific words and charted them.












Then he answered questions like:
answered questions which word did I say the most? least?
how many times did I say ___?
How many more times did I say house than wolf?

Lunch was leftovers from last night's dinner, made special with the addition of pig biscuits. I LOVE how they turned out! B wasn't so sure at first, but came around quickly!












Then, W got to watch the Three Little Pigs episode of Super Why before he got on the bus for Kindergarten.

When, he got back, I got out the prop box I had made and asked him to show me the Three Little Pigs story. (He saw me making it the night before and, on his own, (drawing, coloring, cutting)made these finger puppets to go along with it!) He decided not to use them, so we got out or big puppets instead. B liked putting the puppets in and out of the box. W matched the puppet to the scene it went with, then put on a puppet show for me. My vote for the cutest puppet goes to:
At snack time, W got to be a wolf again. I told him that the wolf could only eat "huff and puff" stuff. He wrote out words that rhyme with huff. For each one he got right, he got some "sticks" to eat. Meanwhile, B kept busy with the three pigs puzzle (puzzles and cars are his top two favorite toys lately!)Guess what is for dessert tonight?I will be linking to Show & Tell Blog Hop, Tot Tuesdays, Kids Get Crafty,StArt, Read. Explore.Learn andPreschool Corner.

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

oo what fun! Sammy loved this story the last time we read it. We need to do some activities with it soon :-)

JDaniel4's Mom said...

What an amazing unit! I love the biscuits, puppets, building project, and word hunts. You hit so many learning styles.

Thank you so much for sharing this on Read.Explore.Learn.

kewkew said...

With all these neat ideas and my daughters' obsession with acting out The Three Little Pigs this past week, I am tempted to postpone our S week and focus on The Three Little Pigs this coming week.
My favorites are the word hunt and the building activity with the different materials. And the biscuits are adorable.
Debating, debating...

Megan said...

Guess what's for dinner tonight? Those piggy biscuits are adorable and I must try them, pronto! Thanks for sharing the song, too...I've never heard that one before.

RedTedArt said...

Oh wow! What a fab piggy post! Love the book that started it all- it looks well loved and love "the old style"... and your piggy cookies and desert? Well... I am in awe :-)

Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty! Much appreciated!!

Maggy

Christy said...

Fantastic! I love the biscuits and the dessert!!!!!

Michelle said...

Wonderful 3 little pig fun! Love it! You were so creative with all the learning activities and special memories that you created ~ great job!

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

Cute! I love all the piggy ideas! I also love your biscuits and cupcakes! Too fun! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.