Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Button, Button, Who's Got the Button?

We do! We used it to celebrate yesterday's National button day!

For the occasion, we got out our box of buttons.
I grabbed a handful and W estimated, (At first, he said 1,299, then he changed his guess to 60) then counted (63).
W matched buttons, sorted by color and size then compared and made a rainbow. B REALLY wanted (to eat) the buttons, but when I put some in a closed baggie for him to explore, he wasn't interested. He did get to practice his buttoning skills (as did W) on a doll, though.












For craft, we glued buttons on a toilet paper roll to make Indian corn (I was just going to have him glue the buttons onto a corn coloring page, until I saw this. The tissue paper can be removed to use as a napkin holder!)
Lunch was buttons, too! Here's his sandwich...some raisins made his applesauce a button, too!Our festivities ended with some rousing games of roll and count (to work on our number dot recognition, and use our new dice)!
Hope your National holiday was as fun as ours!

linked to





preschool corner

abc button

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

What a fun way to celebrate button day :-)

RedTedArt said...

Oh I love all your pretty buttons! All those colours! What a great way to practice countings, rainbows, big and small! And the corn is fabulous!

What fun it is to learn at your house!

Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty! Lovely to see you there!

Maggy

carly@LearningParade said...

The button rainbow is a great idea I must remember, thanks for sharing!

Jill said...

Love all the button activities. I especially love the button indian corn.

Charlene said...

We made Button Indian Corn a few days ago...one of my favorite projects!! I made my own corn cut out of poster board, but I like your napkin holder too...Cute!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love the corn napkin holder. The lunch looks great too.

Megan said...

Those are great dice! Did you make them or buy them? You little guy is cute as a button - which goes nicely with your theme!

oh amanda {impress your kids} said...

How cute is that?! I want to do a button day now! :)a