Monday, November 22, 2010

A Confession

Alternate Titles: They See Me Rollin'
Hi, I'm B...
and I'm scared of turkeys.
Not the live ones (ok, if I ever saw one in real life, I probably would be afraid of it) but the frozen kind you get at the grocery store.

You see, I've never cooked a turkey in my whole life. (Defrosting for days? Pulling out a sack of guts?! Basting?!?! shudder.)

Two years ago, I hosted Christmas Day dinner for the in-laws. I took the "easy" way out and bought everything pre-made from the grocery store. Everything was going smoothly until I realized that I had to heat up the turkey and I didn't own a pan big enough to do that! E actually went out on Christmas day to try to buy something, but of course, everything was closed. The turkey that year was served, in chunks, from the crockpot!

That story got me out of cooking a turkey for my church's Thanksgiving dinner this year (and gave our church secretary quite a laugh). Unfortunately, it didn't save me, when, a couple of days later, it was decided that I would host Thanksgiving for my in-laws at my house this year. AHHHHHHH!!

Thankfully, my SIL volunteered to do the turkey, and everyone else is bringing something. All I'm in charge of is the candied yams, 3 pies, gravy and cranberry sauce (both canned), and the bread.

My creative bread last year was a flop (check it out, it makes me laugh) but this year, I've got the perfect plan, turkey rolls! (Another version here)
So now I am making a turkey for Thanksgiving!
Conquering fear, that's how I roll. (get it? roll!)

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

hehe this cracks me up! I had to make my first turkey 2 years ago and I was petrified of screwing it up.. it didn't turn out to bad. However the next year I totally made ham.. way easier! Those rolls look like fun!

Candace said...

I love the turkey roll idea! I definitely don't blame you about cooking an actual turkey. I've never had to cook the Thanksgiving turkey (and hopefully will never have to!).

That's too funny about the turkey in the crockpot! That sounds sooooo like me!! I hope you have a great Thanksgiving. :) I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job as hostess! :)

April said...

So funny! I literally laughed out loud. And I followed the link to your dinner last year and I laughed at all of the different desserts amd your Gump reference.

My husband didn't grow up celebrating Thanksgiving if you can believe that. Not for any good reason actually. They don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Mexico and so when my mother-in-law moved to the US and had kids she just never started celebrating. They just ate a regular dinner at home on Thanksgiving. So I have been cooking the turkey and all since I first got with my husband and his brothers and sisters all come over.

Kayte said...

You can really crack me up :)

I love your Turkey, very creative.

Erin said...

LOVE the turkey rolls! Totally adorable!!!