Friday, November 5, 2010

Peanut, Peanut Butter

Did you know that Americans eat 3 pounds of peanut butter per person every year? That's about 700 million pounds, or enough to coat the floor of the Grand Canyon!

In honor of November being the official month of Peanut Butter Lovers, we had a peanut butter day!

We watched how peanut butter is made, sang an old Girl Scout song,

Chorus: Peanut...Peanut butter
jelly
Peanut, peanut butter
jelly

First you find the peanuts
And you pick them,
You pick them
First you find the peanuts
And you pick them,
You pick them

Chorus

Then you take the peanuts
And you crunch them,
You crunch them
Then you take the peanuts
And you crunch them,
You crunch them

Chorus

Then you take the grapes
And you squish them,
You squish them
Then you take the grapes
And you squish them,
You squish them

Chorus

Then you take the bread
And you spread it,
You spread it
Then you take the bread
And you spread it,
You spread it

Chorus

Then you take your sandwich
And you munch it,
You munch it
Then you take your sandwich
And you munch it,
You munch it

Um-ummm, um-um-um-um
(The last chorus is sung with mouth closed and making chewing movements.)

and made our own peanut butter play dough!

First, I got my helpers, then we gathered the ingredients.
  • 1 c. Smooth Peanut Butter
  • 1/2 c. Honey
  • 2 c. Nonfat Dry Milk or cornmeal
W read the recipe,and we mixed together the peanut butter with the honey. Next, W added half of the dry milk. Then I stirred and mixed, continuing to add a little more milk at a time until the dough was at a good playing consistency. (I didn't end up using all two cups.)

After that, the boys played and ate, (but not too much, it's really sweet!)





and gave the leftovers to the squirrels!

Check out this link for my peanut butter pie and other great recipes!

Resources
www.peanutbutterlovers.com

Linked to Show & Tell Blog Hop, Tot Tuesdays, Kids Get Crafty and Preschool Corner.

8 comments:

sarahssweeties said...

I love it!!

Lindsay said...

ooohhh man I love me some peanut butter.. and peanut butter pie is my favorite dessert :-) I need to make some playdough I know Sammy would love it :-)

KJ said...

So cool! We are a PB family-- I may have to try this sometime! I can't help but sing that song when making a PB&J sandwich all the time :) I'm stopping by again from the Preschool Corner link up.

Kayte said...

Wow, I love your peanut butter party. I just might need to borrow this idea :) We love an obscure party at our house.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I love that you gave the left overs to the squirrels - what fun!

Dorie said...

What a fun activity! I have never heard of peanut play dough. My children would like making this.
Also, thanks for your kind words on my blog post (the yarn spider).

Sim said...

What a fantastic idea. Thanks for posting!
You know what I'm going to do right after writing this comment? Have PB!!!!!! Yumm!!!!!

Forest Rose said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog....yummmmmy post we eat about 3 pounds in a week...lol!

I'm your newest follower
Forest Rose