Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Groundhog's Day

It was hard to top last year's Groundhog's Day costumes and special food, but even though W spent most of the day with a fever, I think we did it!

We had some accessories, and books.(We have a bunch, but we focused on these two this year.) Geoffrey Groundhog Predicts the Weather has a twist on the end that shows you can always count on your mom and Groundhog Gets a Say has a lot of real facts about groundhogs, like the fact that their heads are like periscopes!












I sang some new songs,
and B painted with my groundhog cookie cutter.









I even made a Groundhog and shadow lunch! W only ate one side, because he didn't have much of an appetite, but while B watched Curious George and the Whistlepig, W did manage to do one and a half worksheets and have a little fun with shadows.
The rest of the activities I had planned will have to wait until next year, but we did end on a high note-with a yummy groundhog dessert/snack!
(Saw the cupcake idea here. Instead of baking and icing my own cupcakes, I used the store-bought ones, scraped off the white squiggles and decorated with candy. I realized later that it would have been much easier just to peel all of the top icing off....)

I also realized that, the minute I turn my back, B will immediately shove as many Hershey's kisses into his mouth as he can. See how educational Groundhog's Day is?!?

11 comments:

Lindsay said...

oo poor W! I hope he feels better soon! Love the cupcake!

Jodie said...

Looks like you had a fun day!

RedTedArt said...

Oh I love your periscopes - that takes me back!!! Wow! We will have to make some and the cupcakes are cute cute cute.

Hope W is back to normal soon!!

Thanks for joining in again this week at Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Poor W - but what a fantastic day you planned!

April said...

Now I feel bad that I totally ignored Groundhogs Day this year!

And the pic with the groundhog hat is probably the cutest pic I've seen all week. Adorable!

Like the groundhog snacks...you are definitely my kind of mom :)

Elle Belles Bows said...

Love the shadow lunch!! Great job! Kerri

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I hope he feels better soon. The periscopes are such a great idea! The cupcake looks yummy!

Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

Wonder Mom said...

There are SO MANY wonderful activities that you did to make Groundhog's Day ROCK! EXCELLENT JOB, Mama!

(Oh, and I am TOTALLY "stealing" your periscope idea for next year's Groundhog's Day...) :0)

Brimful Curiosities said...

Earlier we read Groundhog Day by Gibbons, but I'm afraid our massive blizzard totally overshadowed the day. We are happy that spring is predicted to arrive early!

Smita Srivastava said...

What a lovely blog ... simply love ur creative ideas !!!

- Smita
www.littlefoodjunction.blogspot.com
(fun foods for picky lil eaters )

Kate said...

Cutest cupcake ever! :)