Monday, March 14, 2011

All in Good Pi

Breakfast- pi pancakesTshirt Time! (This was our first time trying bleach shirts. Spraying the bleach spread into the design more than I thought it would even when I dried them right away. If I use this method again, I'll try a thicker stencil. The same thing happened -only outward- when I tried the bleach pen method. No matter, just gives me the perfect shirts to reuse for Earth day!)

My little cutie Pi s!At circle time, we thought about things that were circles,
told some Pi jokes ,
a limerick (VIDEO),
video

and listened to and learned Pi songs.

Lunch (inspired here.) was a pizza Pi, served with PInapple! I know there are Pi books out there, but we just read books from our math shelf. For play time, we learned that the distance around the edge of circle is called the circumference and the distance across the circle through the center is called the diameter.

I made a "circle" in the middle of the floor with painters tape, and the boys walked around the circumference, measured the diameter of it and other circles, and then we talked about which part is shorter. (This activity and much more found here.)

We found Pi in the Bible (1 Kings 7:23) and watched Cyberchase, Spheres of Fears. (Both suggested by Almost Unschoolers-be sure to check out all her math activities, they're awesome!)

At worksheet time, I tried again (with no luck) to get B to say "circle" and let him play with the pattern beads.
Meanwhile, W did a pi(e) pattern worksheet (from Pi day at Helping Little Hands).
Our day was as "sweet as pie", but it's not over yet! Tonight, we'll fill our "pie hole" with chicken pot Pi
and Pi(e) cupcakes! (Found here- Click for tutorial and much better pictures!)

8 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

You know how to do a theme! Excellent day :)

Polly @ Helping Little Hands said...

Awesome! You got a lot of great activities in there. I'm so glad you were able to use the pattern worksheet.

Lindsay said...

What a fun pi day! Can I come fill my pi hole over at your house for dinner?

Tiffany Yang said...

Thank you so much for the link. Your pizza sure looks more delicious! yum....

Michelle said...

fun, fun, fun and yum, yum, yum!!!

Janelle said...

Hmmm...i think i want to come for your next pi day!! This post made me hungry!

~The Bargain Babe said...

Saw you on Too Cute Tuesday. The pi shirts turned out great. I love all the pi activities you did! We're going to a physics demonstration tomorrow night (although why they didn't have it ON 3-14 is a mystery to me).

RedTedArt said...

Oh wow, you are doing Pi with them already! Cool! And what a fabulous set of activities (as always!!)

Thank you for linking up :-)

Maggy