Sunday, September 27, 2015

Something Old, Something New

On the last Sunday night of every month, our church has a pitch-in. This last one caught me by surprise, so I brought what I had planned to make for dinner that night...Red Beans and Rice. Never my favoritie, it has always been one of those meals that kept us from starving but I was never excited about. (It is also so basic, I never blogged it!) After church, though, multiple people asked me for the recipe!

Red Beans and Rice

1 pkg smoked sausage (we like Eckrich, turkey skinless)
2 cans of red beans, do not drain
Optional- 1 can ham broth
1/2 onion
Dash each of garlic powder, red pepper flakes and garlic powder. To taste.

Cut one link of smoked sausage into fourths, put in saucepan with beans, water/broth, onion and spices. Cook on medium heat, uncovered until sauce is reduced. Remove cooked sausage*, replace with other link of sausage, diced. (or you can dice first link from the beginning and leave in at this step, just adding second link. I do not like the texture of sausage cooked for so long, so I remove it.) Cook until sausage is heated through. Serve mixed with or over rice.

(*You probably could also fry the sausage first, remove from pan, cook beans down then add back in...)

The next recipe we tried because I used to love tuna helper tetrazzini, but wanted something homemade, with less mystery ingredients! I found the original recipe, which calls for chicken, here. I love that it is made with a crockpot!!

 8 oz spaghetti, uncooked (Don't use a smaller pasta like linguine, it turns out mushy/gummy)
1 cup heavy cream
2 1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp each salt, garlic powder, onion powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1-2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 stalk (or less)  finely diced celery
1 TB pimentos
2 tbs butter
2 cups cooked shredded/cubed chicken or 2 cans tuna, drained
1 cup grated cheese  (used cheddar, but with tuna, will use parmesan next time.)
additional salt and pepper to taste, parsley for garnish

Spray crock pot with cooking spray. Lay pasta flat in bottom of it. Pour cream on top, then water, then spices/seasonings. put vegetables on top, slice butter and distribute evenly on top. Layer meat on top. Cover and cook on high 90 minutes. Sprinkle cheese on top, cook for an additional five minutes. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.

NEXT TIME- I want to try this with a bigger pasta OR on the 6 hour high instead of the four hour high setting on my crockpot.

No comments: