Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes Servings: 4
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup white wine (I used chicken broth)
- 6 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 10 ounces baby spinach, coarsely chopped ( I didn't chop it, oops!)
- 1/2 cup cream or milk
- salt and pepper to taste. We added extra parmesan to ours.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and onion and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids and the liquid has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic, thyme and flour and cook, stirring, until the flour starts to turn a light golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wine and deglaze the pan.
- Add the broth and tortellini, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the tortellini is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the parmesan, let it melt, add the spinach, let it wilt, add the cream, season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
Option: Add 1 ounce dried mushrooms for even more mushroom flavor! OR Cook the mushrooms even longer until they start to caramelize for more mushroom-y flavour goodness! OR
Roast the mushrooms instead of cooking them in the sauce pan for even more mushroom flavor.
OR Use a spinach tortellini instead of cheese tortellini.