Thursday, April 7, 2016

Bacon Makes it Better!

We've been eating a lot healthier around here. We've tried quinoa (plain and leftovers as warm breakfast cereal), radishes (chopped in salads, and roasted), added cabbage to corn beef hash...  etc, but the biggest hits of the menu were the two new recipes I made with bacon!

ZUCCHINI BACON AND EGG NESTS (similar to a shakshuka)
3 zucchini, shredded lengthwise or spiralized
4 eggs
4 slices thin raw bacon
asiago cheese -optional (I did not use this.)

Cut bacon in half, then lengthwise like bacon noodles. In a heavy saucepan, (I used my cast iron.)  cook bacon for 3-5 minutes. Add the zucchini and mix well, (ere, I would cook for a couple of extra minutes.) season if desired and flatten slightly. Make four depressions for the eggs. Break one egg into each dent. Bake at 375 for 7-10 minutes or cook on medium high for 5 minutes, then cover and cook for an additional 4-6 minutes or until the eggs are cooked the way you like it. Serve immediately.
STUFFED PORTABELLO MUSHROOMS
4-6 large portabella mushrooms
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I just sprayed cooking spray)
12 sweet onion (I skipped this)
4 ounces cream cheese (I would try less next time.)
4 slices bacon (precooked)
13 cup mozzarella cheese (I skipped this.)
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
salt and pepper    

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash the portabellos, scrape out the gills and remove the stems. (I'm not going to lie, this is a messy job.) Place mushrooms cap down in a pan and drizzle oil over them. Roast in the oven for 12 minutes. While they are roasting, add 1 TB of oil to skillet, cook chopped onions in it until start to brown (around 5 minutes). Add bacon, cook for two more minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cream cheese.
Take mushrooms out of oven, salt and pepper them, then spread the cream cheese mixture onto them. Distribute parmesan and mozzarella on each mushroom. Place back into oven for five minutes.

No comments: