Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Homemade Scones!

I always thought of scones as glorified dry biscuits...until I tried the ones from Panera! Since their are over two dollars apiece, I wanted to try to make my own. I picked a recipe where I didn't have to crumble together butter and flour, and made these fluffy, delicious...

CHOCOLATE CHIP SCONES
  • 1/3 C sugar
  • 2 C flour
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 C mini chocolate chips (I didn't have mini, so I used regular.)
  • 1 1/4 C heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (not in original recipe, but I want to try it.)
  • Extra cream and large sugar crystals for topping, optional


    1. Preheat oven to 425.
    2. Whisk flour, sugar, powder, salt and Chocolate chips.
    3. Add the cream to the flour mixture and mix until moist.
    4. Then knead the dough in the bowl 5-10 times, this should clean up the sides.
    5. Transfer the ball to a slightly flour surface and pat out to one large 8 inch circle (or two small circles) about 3/4 inches tall.
    6. Cut each circle into six pieces and transfer to baking sheet.
    7. Brush tops with extra cream and sprinkle on extra sugar.
    8. Cook for 12-15 mins.
    (For Cinnamon Scones- instead of chocolate chips, use 1/2 cup cinnamon baking chips-, 1/2 tsp cinnamon,  -or try this recipe http://www.bunsinmyoven.com/2015/11/12/maple-glazed-cinnamon-scones/
    top with glaze immediately after pulling out of oven. 1/2 cup sugar 3TB milk, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon.
    I made them one night to serve for breakfast the next day, but it ended up being a family evening snack instead!

    These are perfect with tea!

    No comments: