Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day Weekend

SATURDAY

E went out to the land with Doogle,

 so I got a haircut (and an eyebrow wax, ouch!) and took the boys to a new-to-them restaurant. It used to be called Roy Rogers, then was named after the street it was on. Now that it has moved to Milford, it is still called Roney's.
We tried their fried chicken, roast beef, "famous" burger and cheddar cheese apple crisp (way too sweet). The boys loved the burger, I really liked the roast beef (tasted real, unlike processed Arby's) but hated the ice/drinks-their water must not be filtered...
I also played on Snap Chat while I was working on my 2013B photo book...no wonder it takes me forever!
SUNDAY
Memorial Day picnic at church

I made
SLOW COOKER GARLIC PARMESAN POTATOES
  • 3 pounds baby Dutch yellow potatoes, halved
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

  • Lightly coat the inside of a slow cooker with nonstick spray. Place potatoes, olive oil, butter, garlic, oregano, basil and dill into the slow cooker; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  • Cover and cook on low heat for 4-5 hours or high heat for 2-3 hours, or until tender.*
  • Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan and garnished with parsley, if desired.
and
MINI OATMEAL CREAM PIES

I used an oatmeal cookie mix (prepared as directed but with an additional TB of molasses) and made small cookies, then filled them with this:

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon milk or half and half


    1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes. This process will lighten the color of the butter and ensure you buttercream in extra fluffy.
    2. Turn the speed down to low and gradually add in the powdered sugar. Continue mixing on low speed until the powdered sugar is completely incorporated. Add in vanilla extract and milk and mix until combined.
    3. Turn mixer back up to medium-high speed and beat the mixture for an additional 3-5 minutes. If needed, add in a little more cream 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach the consistency you desire.
    (TBH, I didn't read the directions before I put everything in the bowl, so I just mixed it all up together and it turned out great- too good, in fact, because I ate all the icing that was leftover from the cookies BY MYSELF!) I contemplated adding some marshmallow cream to the filling but I'm glad I didn't because the frosting was perfect, not too sweet!

    W tried to stay indoors,

    but Pastor made him go outside!
    E pretty much stayed by the corn toss (calling it 'corn hole"reminds me of rear ends for some reason...)





    I couldn't wait for the class competitions in volleyball! We beat the class older than us, but got smoked by the singles class! :(

    MONDAY was an at-home day for us. We spent it
    Playing


    working on my photo book, cleaning
    having  root beer floats snack, watching American Ninja Warrior,
    then grilling out for dinner- burgers, hot dogs, strawberries and cream cheese/marshmallow fruit dip and corn on the cob. (Sad days that Dianna wasn't feeling well enough to join us!)
    What a great start to summer!

    No comments: