Saturday, May 7, 2016

Mother's Day Weekend, part 1

Crafts made during the week....
 

Videos made Thursday for our church secretary to show at the ladies banquet .  (I only had two questions to answer but it took quite a few tries! One, because I apparently am old and don't understand technology...VIDEO
video

and a bunch more because I was nervous and sweating and tongue tied! (I wouldn't even do it when E was in the room!)

Friday, while W was having a sleepover with his best friend, DA,
 I made two new recipes, an Egg McMuffin Strata, and a

SHORTCUT CRUMB CAKE
1 box Yellow Cake box mix, prepared according to box directions (also add 1 teaspoon vanilla)
1 pound salted butter
4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons cinnamon
  1. Prepare the cake as package directs and add vanilla.
  2. Bake it in a 9x13 pan lined with nonstick foil for 15-20 minutes at 350.
  3. Electric mix butter, flour, sugar and cinnamon to make crumbs.
  4. Sprinkle all over the cake and return to the oven for an additional 15-20 minutes.
  5. Let cool completely before cutting.
( Next time, I will try cooking half the crumble mixture inside it.)

for the next morning's Mother's Day brunch at church!
On my way, I picked up an iced coffee (a must after my nervous sleepless night) and some Panera scones (so the boys can serve me breakfast in bed tomorrow!).  I arrived early and kept busy putting the $1 Jersey Mike's sub coupons I had gotten donated into the gift bags at each place setting. (Thanks to my SIL for letting me know about them!)
 The theme was "Pearls of Wisdom", so I made sure to wear my pearls! Betty Jones asked me to help at the candy station (kinda like putting Yogi Bear in charge of the picnic baskets...)

My SIL, niece and MIL were able to come again this year, so we hammed it up at the photo booth! (I was workin' that hat!!)
After breakfast and a couple of readings, It was Q & A time. Here's my first question. VIDEO
video

My second question was more serious. "What advice has your mom or MIL given you that has helped you as a mom?"
I don't remember exactly everything I said, but ...
I talked about how I have been married for almost 13 years and Dianna has never given me advice (Here I said, "What more could you ask from a mother-in-law, am I right?") but I have learned a lot watching her.
1. Take and be in pictures (and not just when you are having a good hair day).  When we visit Dianna the boys love her digital picture frame, and I do too!  I used to avoid pictures, but now I follow my kids around like paparazzi and make sure I get in shots, too. 
2. Seeing my MIL fight stage 4 adrenal cancer has made me really appreciate every minute that I get to spend with my family, and not sweat the small stuff.  Because when you think about it, it's all small stuff.
(I forgot that I was going to talk about when we used to have weekly family nights and the importance of spending time together regularly, and how she kept me from being impatient and living out of our means when we were first married by telling me, "We ate hamburger helper for years.")

After one more special song,
the brunch was over! I helped clean off tables and then headed home to change for B's baseball game! (E wasn't feeling well, so he left before the game began and spent the rest of the afternoon, sleeping.)

Even though E called off camping (again! Poor Doogle!) the boys and I still went ahead with our dinner plans. Picking up dollar subs for lunch the next day, (who wants to fight crowds at a restaurant when I could be napping?!) and some Pizza Hut for dinner!
Today was a great day, and tomorrow will be too!

No comments: