Sunday, December 25, 2016

Christmas at Nanny and Papaw's

Christmas Eve morning was spent making desserts!

I made puppy chow, pumpkin pie (from a can- not good enough for E, ha ha), pecan pie and two new recipes.
MILLIONAIRE PIE
graham cracker pie crust
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1-15oz can crushed pineapple, well-drained
1 cup maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I skipped these.)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
5 TB lemon juice
1 TB maraschino juice
1 1/2 cups whipped topping

In a large bowl, combine coconut, pineapple, cherries, pecans,
sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and maraschino juice.
Fold in whipped topping. Pour into crust.
Top with additional whipped topping and cherries if desired.
Refrigerate three hours or overnight.

and me and mom's favorite...
CRUSTLESS CRANBERRY PIE
1 cup all-purpose flour                         
1 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups cranberries                              
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract                           
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9 inch pie pan.
  2. Combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Stir in the cranberries and the walnuts, and toss to coat. Stir in the butter, beaten eggs, and almond extract. If you are using frozen cranberries, the mixture will be very thick. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or cold.
A shower, and packing the truck, and we were on our way!
I tried to nap but the drainage/cough/congestion wouldn't let me (and I was feeling better than I had all week) :(

After a brief pit-stop to pick up prunes for mom, I got there all ready to make cheesy smoked sausage pasta for everyone, but dad took pity on me (and mom, who had fallen a week ago and having back and gastric problems) so we got Pizza Hut instead. (Too bad that didn't work when I tried to get him to have Christmas that night so we weren't rushed in the morning!)

Nathan woke up just for dinner, then went back to bed.

We watched Grumpy Cat Christmas movie (which was so bad it was HILARIOUS)
Then, we watched our home videos of the kids' church musical and W's band concert. We watched Mickey mouse Christmas too (I was a bit bummed, I had hoped for some board games, or something but it was a quiet night.) The boys got their first new pajamas (I couldn't resist. B was annoyed that he was the servant and not the big guy!),
and we went to bed pretty early-had a busy morning planned (and it's hard to get good sleep when you are coughing your head off)!

The next morning, it was time for presents! I couldn't wait for everyone to see what I got them!

Santa W sorted the presents into piles, and Elf B made a personal fort out of it!
 We started out with Ben, then Zach telling the real Christmas story.
 Presents, one person at a time.
Zach picked out an army set for B.
Mom opened her Chick-fil-A calendar and hair thing.
 W got books. He had wanted the Middles School ones!
 Justice loved the sketch book, sharpies, mechanical pencils, journal and fancy coloring book we got her!
 E got a flashlight....and didn't want his picture taken!
 American Eagle hats from me us for my Baby Pud!
 Mom got me a Kevlar uterus warmer, (I had seen something similar and asked about making it) and a weight watcher's cookbook ("It's fine. I'm fine.")
A real toolbox for B with chocolate tools,  
 We bought Zach a new basketball and a mini hoop and ball,
 Safe darts for W,
 the shirt E bought for Dad (he said he was going to wear it to bowling on Monday.) We also got him screen doors for the back door and the garage and a gift card to Applebees to take mom on a date.
Zach's very first cd
We were running out of time so the end was a free-for-all (hard to take pics)! W got a fuzzy zip up hoodie, E and B got more books, Nate got some really nice motorcycle gloves, I got the negatives to all our wedding pictures/my senior photos
and (best for last)we revealed to Mom that we all chipped in to get her a car starter!

Church time! We rushed to get dressed (My phone had died the night before, so you can thank Nate for the following pictures.)
and went to my parents new church (Nazarene) for breakfast (cinnamon rolls) and the Christmas program. We saw a peacock on the side of the road on our way, and as we pulled in, we saw what Dad thought were deer (and I thought were sheep) but turned out to be goats.
I snagged the perfect seat: right behind the order of events list and right next to my baby Pud!
They had a reclaimed wood "tree" of nativity scenes (total in the whole church 31!) and a neat "barn" for the choir to stand in front of.

Justice had a sign language solo
and Zach did a reading.
The music was great, and we got a new ornament on our way out.

Back at the house, we had good hospital roast beef, green beans, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese and more of my desserts.

Then we watched Dad's favorite gift from mom- a video of Undercover Blues.
Love spending time with my family! Two more Christmases to go!

No comments: