Thursday, March 9, 2017

Cheap Meal

I had seen something on facebook about how they eat Spam in Hawaii, so I thought I would try it. I bought two cans months ago, but did nothing with it. Last week, E posted this on facebook....
 He got a lot of comments, a lot of people said it was gross, some suggested frying it with eggs, or using mustard. Sherry said E's dad ate it with mayonnaise (E said that sounded like a heart attack on a bun)!

He fried it, and we ate it. I took one bite, and E ate half a can!
He said it was so salty that he felt like he was already retaining water!

The next morning, I went to try some with eggs, and E had eaten the rest! After all the flack he gave me....

With one can left, I made this economical recipe:

Spam Pasta
  • 1 (16 ounce) package uncooked spaghetti                    
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I want to try butter next time)
  • 1 (12 ounce) container fully cooked luncheon meat (e.g. Spam), cubed                      
  • 1/2 green onion, chopped (I did not use this.)   
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped    
  • 1 TB soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 TB sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

  1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
  2. Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil (or butter?) in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add luncheon meat, green onion and garlic and saute until light brown. Stir in cooked spaghetti , then stir in soy sauce, water, sesame oil and pepper. Mix all together, heat through and serve.
This was really good, and cheap!

No comments: